Monday, September 20, 2010

Run Keeper

As I spoke of in my last posting, I am training for a 5K.  Since I am a virgin to the running world and this will be my first ever 5K and the first time I have ever intentionally run more than a mile, I did a lot of research to find tools that would help me continue with my training regiment and not "bitch out", so to speak.  With this research I found a great 5 week training schedule published by Health Magazine, called "Girls Gotta Move, 5K training program:  http://i.timeinc.net/health/i/ggm/Health5kProgram.pdf

But, the tool that I am most impressed and excited with is an app for the iPhone called Run Keeper; it is awesome!  It was recommended to me by my brother, who is also seems to have a new found passion for running.  It is $9.99, which was initially a turn-off for me, so I tried out their free version first, Run Keeper Lite.  I really liked it and decided that I would go ahead and upgrade to Run Keeper...I have not been disappointed!  It tracks my runs (time, distance and average pace) and saves a record of each activity.  The feature that really pushed me to splurge and spend $10 on an app (Yes, I am amazing cheap) is the ability for Run Keeper to work with my existing training program that I am following.  I run with my music playing and the Run Keeper program going at the same time.  Run Keeper's voice notifies me when I have run four (4) minutes and lets me know that it is time to start my two (2) minute interval.  So every time I complete each interval I know.  I do not have to continually look at my watch to keep up with my training.  This simple feature keeps me going when I might just normally quit. It keeps up with other work out activities other than running.  You let it know what activity your doing and it will track your progress for you.  I highly recommend it and if you are a penny pincher like me, try out the Lite version; its free!

Check out the Run Keeper website:  http://runkeeper.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment